Proctoring Service Policy
The Tazewell County Library supports lifelong learning and will provide a proctoring service to our patrons taking online or distance education courses.
Proctoring examinations is a service provided for Tazewell County Public Library card holders whose cards are in good-standing. Exams can be scheduled based on the availability of staff and a computer. Students are asked to schedule the proctored exam with staff one week in advance. Preferable times to schedule examinations are during regular library hours Monday through Friday but requests for weekend proctoring will be considered and accommodated according to staff availability. The Library reserves the right to refuse or decline proctoring services to any individual if that request is beyond our ability to administer the exam.
There is no fee for proctoring an examination but the individual is responsible for any incidental costs associated with the examination, such as printing, postage or faxing. If the Library receives exams via fax or e-mail, regular faxing and printing charges apply. If the examination is to be returned by mail, the student must provide the prepaid envelope or pay the library’s postage costs for mailing it.
- Prior contact between the testing institution and the library is required so that credibility and examination requirements can be verified.
- The student will allow sufficient time to take the examination before the deadline established by the institution.
- The student will arrive on time. There is a 15 minute grace period after the scheduled time or the proctoring service will be cancelled. Examinations must be completed 15 minutes prior to the Library closing.
- The student will be required to present a valid picture I.D. at the time of the examination. A valid I.D. includes a student I.D., driver’s license, military ID, or passport.
- The Library cannot guarantee that the person who signs the initial proctoring form will be the person administering the exam.
- The proctoring staff member will review the instructions as they are provided by the institution with the student. The instructions, as reviewed, must be followed explicitly by the student.
- The library will not proctor examinations that students bring in themselves.
- The proctor will answer questions concerning testing instructions but not about testing content.
- Proctors will not monitor a student continuously during an examination, but will check on them periodically. The library does not guarantee that a quiet space or room will be provided.
- Students should give 24 hour notice prior to cancelling or rescheduling an exam. A student will be allowed to reschedule the examination two times.
- The Library will not be responsible for any delayed examinations, nor for any completed examination after it leaves the library’s possession and has been mailed back. The Library will not be responsible for examinations that are interrupted by Library emergencies, power failures or failure of Library hardware of software. In the event of such an event it is the student’s responsibility to reschedule the exam.
- All materials related to examinations will be discarded at the end of the semester.