Social Media Policy
TCPL Social Media Policy
Definition of Social Media
Social Media is defined as any website or application that allows people to share information in a virtual environment. Examples include, but are not limited to Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram.
Purpose of Social Media
The purpose of the social media employed by the Tazewell County Public Library is to engage the Tazewell County community and beyond with the library by sharing information about library events, programs, services, and classes as well as by sharing posts from other sources that communicate the love of reading, libraries, literacy and life-long learning.
The Library Director, Reference Librarian, and Technical Service Librarian will have sole access to passwords of the various social media sites for which the Library has an account.
The Reference Librarian will be the primary person responsible for maintaining the profile and creating content on various social media sites. The Technical Services Librarian will update these social media sites in the absence of the Reference Librarian. The Library Director will do this in the absence of both staff members. The Library Director and other staff will recommend content and make suggestions about how to improve social media sites.
The Library Director must approve the creation of any new social media accounts as well as the deletion of any accounts that no longer serve the library’s purpose.
Content Creation by Staff
- When adding content to social media resources, employees must be aware of these guidelines:
- Content should add value.
- Content should be up-to-date.All content will be professional.
- Loud, rude, or inappropriate comments or postings are never acceptable.
- Respect and abide by Copyright law.
- Follow the sites’ user agreementsIf you are responding to a post or comment, responses should be positive and neutral.
User comments, posts and messages are welcome on TCPL social media accounts and services. However, all comments, posts, and messages are subject to review. The Tazewell County Public Library reserves the right to remove any comment, post, or message it deems inappropriate. The Tazewell County Public Library is not responsible for or liable for any content posted by any participant in a Library social media forum who is not a member of the Library’s staff.
Once posted, the Tazewell County Public Library reserves the right to modify or delete submissions that contain:
- Obscene or profane language, gestures, pictures, objects, and/or images.
- Personal attacks of any kind.
- Offensive comments that target or disparage any ethnic, racial, or religious group.
- Advocate illegal activity.
- Inappropriate sexual references or any communication that refers to sexual activities.
- Promote particular services, products, or political organizations.
- Infringe on copyrights or trademarks.
- Use personally identifiable medical information.
- The library reserves the right to block users from posting content if he/she violates these guidelines.
Adopted by the TCPL Board of Trustees July 17, 2014