Death -- Cemetery Records
See: Carmack, Sharon DeBartolo. Your guide to cemetery research.
Tazewell County has approximately 900 cemeteries. Directories for most of them have been compiled and printed.
- Brown, June Horn. A record of burials in Maple Hill Cemetery
- Directory of Burke's Garden Central Church cemetery, 1827-1975.
- Directory of Jeffersonville cemetery, 1851-1976.
- Jones Chapel cemetery.
- Hankins Cemetery, Richlands, Virginia
- Maplewood cemetery
- Peery, Rose Brown and Betty Torreyson Hollowell. Tazewell County, Virginia: some old cemeteries.
This work was compiled in the 1970s. It has some gravestone inscriptions which have
since eroded, broken off, or otherwise disappeared.
- Pocahontas, Virginia cemetery records.
- Wilson, Thurman and Ruth Boyd Wilson. Tazewell County cemeteries
Tazewell County Historical Society volunteers compiled information on approximately 175 local cemeteries, detailing name, location and directions, surnames, range of dates of burial, and keyed entries to a topographical map.
The Kegley Library at Wytheville Community College holds WPA papers for southwest Virginia from Dickenson to Giles counties. Among them is Martin, G. A. Epitaphs and sketches, Tazewell County. Compiled in 1936, this may contain information which has since been obliterated.
Online: Selected cemetery data for Tazewell County
- Find A Grave
Has data for about a third of Tazewell County cemeteries. Information presented may include a list, sometimes partial, of interments, along with photographs, a map, directions. Data for interments may include name, birth and death dates, tombstone inscription, photographs of tombstone and the individual, family relationships. All of this information is contributed by volunteers, who add to the existing records on a continuing basis.